Whilst my day to day breakfast is usually a smoothie to go, I LOVE taking some time at the weekend to make something a little more delicious, but still fuss free. Ever since going to Balagan, I have been obsessed with egg shakshuka and decided to make my own green version. What’s so great about this green shakshouka recipe is that whilst it’s so quick to throw together, it’s beyond tasty and all the veg means I’ve already had my five a day at breakfast. I hope you love it as much as I do!
3 tbsp pesto (I made my own version with a handful of basil, 1 garlic clove, 3 tbsp of pistachios and 1 tbsp of olive oil blitzed in blender)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 lemon juice
8 cherry tomatoes
2 handfuls spinach
1 handful of kale
Sprinkle Tabasco and some Violife cheese (or some nice crumbly feta)
- Gently cook all the green veg (except the spinach and kale) for about five mins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the eggs and cheese!). Cook off until the kale and spinach is wilted.
- Make 4 little holes and crack your eggs in and sprinkle vegan cheese on top of the greens.
- Put a lid over the pan and leave to cook for a further 5 mins.
- Sprinkle with Tabasco, salt and pepper and ENJOY! (Preferably with a Bloody Mary…)